Mr Harada advised me to make way for Tsukiji Market—the largest fish market in the world.
The Fodor’s guide lying around my friend’s house said the market closed to tourists after 6:30am. So, I set my alarm for 4:30 and was hopelessly lost in the subway system by five.
When I got to Tsukiji station, I followed a pair of pink Scandinavian teenagers who seemed to be marching purposely toward the tuna auction.
They stopped to check in with the police force charged with keeping foreigners out of the market.
“Sooooo sorry,” said an animated senior officer as he dropped a taped finger onto a Xeroxed map of the warren of sushi shops and knick-knack stores outside the market. “Please eat delicious sushi. Sooooo good sushi.”
The leader of our expedition, a plump 20 year-old, had been turned away in January. Nowadays, he said, they don’t let anyone in who doesn’t get in line before two or three in the morning.
Undaunted, they snuck along the perimeter and plunged into a morass of men dressed in overalls and rubber boots. Carts loaded with massive frozen tuna corpses zipped in both directions and dead ocean life gazed up at us from piles of rapidly melting ice.
The workers sneered at us with disgust. One tossed a bucket of water in my general direction with a growl.
“Keep an eye out for the blue policemen,” my leader whispered, quickening his pace. “If they catch us, they’ll kick us out.”
Just as the last words escaped his mouth, he crashed into one. After feigning ignorance and getting directions elsewhere, he darted into another loading dock.
I broke away and was quickly intercepted.
I sheepishly followed the friendly fish market Gestappo towards the sushi warren and got in line at a Hawaiian-themed rice bowl restaurant.
My short-lived attempt at espionage ended with a delicious breakfast of Toro, salmon roe and sea urchin.
- shukijenkins likes this
- pinkypersonal reblogged this from tokyo-rising
- beneath-the-sakura-tree likes this
- stayseevillapausee likes this
- kachu-sama reblogged this from japanesesuburbia
- eldritchprincess likes this
- gonemazinger likes this
- womanprivilege reblogged this from psifreezeomega
- psifreezeomega reblogged this from clorinspats
- comalard likes this
- clorinspats reblogged this from whaoanon
- the-kid-moon likes this
- kootanihan likes this
- rmonk likes this
- rastrophiliopustrocity likes this
- chin-chin-daisuki reblogged this from tokyo-rising
- tokyo-rising reblogged this from japanesesuburbia
- majorobigtime likes this
- bearsister likes this
- thefuriousdolphin likes this
- 5asterisk likes this
- shinsvark likes this
- anemptyspace likes this
- spacebetweentwonumbers likes this
- mollyflood likes this
- thunyamaya likes this
- frecklearchipelago likes this
- visu-visuel likes this
- codegnave likes this
- josephfrancismazzelloiii likes this
- dorkyboo likes this
- superpops likes this
- unlighted reblogged this from japanesesuburbia
- japanologia likes this
- kitara33 likes this
- kingkaiser likes this
- evan-g likes this
- roomonthethird likes this
- kasa51 reblogged this from japanesesuburbia
- ochabang likes this
- tuggywuggy likes this
- cutetears likes this
- frauleinnightfall reblogged this from japanesesuburbia
- frauleinnightfall likes this
- thegoatbrigade likes this
- bakayarou-chan likes this
- akinori-fishface reblogged this from japanesesuburbia
- flourpots likes this
- crankymuse likes this
- girldoesnothing reblogged this from whaoanon